7 Tips for Digital Nomads
Are you bored with the everyday normal 9 to 5 work routine? Have you ever wanted to travel the world but couldn't because of job constraints? If you answered yes, don't worry, you are not alone! Many people have steered away from the normal 40 hour work week to become what's called a "digital nomad." This article will give you tips on how to get into the lifestyle and get the most out of your new lifelong exciting career.
1. Are you going to be a location-independent employee of a firm? Or will you be a freelancer doing your own thing? This is the single most important decision to be made. You may be able to stay in you current profession if you find a firm which allows remote working from independent locations. Or something new may be in store if you choose freelancing. Be pick you want and go with it.
2. Learn some basics, such as web design or marketing. Having the ability to create and operate a webpage whether it be for a company you are starting up or not will do wonders in terms of revenue and number of visitors. You want to be able to market yourself online so you can have clients all over the world.
3. Start slowly. Do not immediately drop everything and beginning travelling the world, unless you have the money and resources. Then by all means go for it! However, in the beginning it is best to determine how your digital nomad lifestyle is going to work. Begin in one location and plan, plan, plan.
4. Know where to find WiFi connections. Most name brand coffee shops, like Starbucks, will offer free WiFi with a purchase. McDonald's usually will also. Airports will typically allow for hot spots or limited free WiFi sessions. This is the second most important tip. No internet means no work.
5. Do not expect everything to be easy all the time. Sure, you will be experiencing new places and new opportunities making all your friends back home jealous! Then reality sets in. With leaving your 9 to 5 job, you also left stability, a steady paycheck and more security. You are in charge. What you put into the digital nomad lifestyle is what you will get out of it.
6. Do not work all the time!!! Yes, there may be nights you have to make calls to clients at 10 o'clock at night due to time differences, however enjoy your time and freedom also. Get a feel for the new place you live in. Live as the locals do and learn a few cultural aspects of everywhere you go. The people there will respect you more for that too.
7. Enjoy every minute of it. Maybe you will try out this lifestyle for a year and decide it's not for you. Maybe not. These will be experiences that will last a lifetime.
Living this unconventional digital nomad lifestyle isn't for everyone. Some people are perfectly happy in their comfort zone and that is ok too! However, if you are looking for something else, something different, then this could prove worth checking into.